Sunday, September 28, 2008

MINI-INTERVIEW: RICK AND RO OF BURN RUBBER



In an era where sneaker and streetwear culture have become somewhat of a new "fad" or "trend", many people are here just to ride the wave and hop on the bandwagon of what is perceived as "cool." However, there are a select few who step into the role of trendsetters, positively innovating the direction of where sneaker and streetwear culture is headed. Burn Rubber Sneaker Boutique is undisputedly one of Michigan's hottest boutique, bringing sneaker and streetwear connoissuers together in this melting pot of flyness. Owners Rick Williams and Roland Coit have been putting in work, taking over as owners of Burn Rubber in February of 2007, and becoming known as the premiere innovators and faces of Michigan's streetwear and sneaker scene. I was blessed to have Rick and Ro take time of their busy schedules to answer a few answers and be apart of the FLYEST BLOG IN THE WORLD!

Cliff Skighwalker: So what have Rick, Ro, and Burn Rubber been doing thus far in 2008?
Ro: Gettin' it in. Putting ourselves in a league of our own when it comes to midwest sneaker boutiques.


CSW: For the people out there that aren't familiar, explain how you guys met and came into the position the owning the hottest boutique in Michigan.
Rick: We met years ago. We were introduced to each other by Ro's cousin Lo (One Man Army a.k.a OneBeLo). At that time I was still a senior in high school and Ro was attending Eastern Michigan. When I was in college at Oakland University, we crossed paths again. I would bring Ro out to the school (Oakland) to DJ some of the parties that I would sponsor. After that, he kind of became the unoffical DJ for Oakland parties. Around my Junior year at Oakland, we were in a live band called Soundpiece where he was one of the front men and I was a Hoofer (Tap Dancer) providing percussion on hooks of some of the songs that we performed. Around this time, we took a trip out to New York about one month after the BAPE store opened in the SOHO district. This is when I felt like my interest in collectable sneakers started getting deeper. Some time before we went out to New York, Ro mentioned to me that he was thinking about opening a sneaker shop. However, at that same time the previous owners of BURN RUBBER had just opened up the shop. Time went by and I kept this information about Ro wanting to open a shop in the back of my head. I ended up creating the website for the old owners and updating it for free shoes. To make a long story short, one of the old owners got a promotion with a well known sneaker company and had to move out to Oregon. He came to me and told me that he was going to be selling the shop and asked if I was interested and I said yes, contacted Ro and the rest was, as they say, history (I left out a lot of details if you really want to know the come out to the shop and we can kick it!).

CSW: What separates Burn Rubber from these consignment shops and other retailers in the Detroit area that just try way too hard to be apart of this culture?
Ro: We do us. A lot of these cats are waiting to see what's "cool" before they jump into it. We are setting trends, and setting standards for the rest to follow. It's a track record, pay attention.
Rick: The culture of the "Sneaker Boutique" in metro Detroit started with BURN RUBBER. Before BURN RUBBER, there was no sneaker boutique in metro Detroit. We have always and will continue to do things that push the boundaries!

CSW: What are your views on the current states of sneaker and streetwear culture?
Rick: I feel like my view on the current state of this culture continues to evolve. What I mean is you see alot of trends in this culture but when it comes down to it, it's about doing what makes you happy! If I like something, I like it, and if I don't, I don't! I don't really have time to sit back and reflect on the wackness or corniness of some of the things that are going on. I notice them and keep it moving! But one thing about it... you can always count on BURN RUBBER to keep it fresh!!!!!!


CSW: Each of you describe your style. What attracts you to certain sneakers and clothing?
Ro: I really don't have a style, I guess just being comfortable. It's just a feeling I get inside, No Homo. When I see certain things, it's a trigger in my brain that goes off like, I don't care what the cost is, I gotta get it. I don't care what other people think about it, I know I can pull it off and I feel comfortable in it. It's all me. lol.
Rick: For some reason I go for things that most people around me have not noticed yet or don't really care about. When people are looking at AF1's and Air Max I am looking at a krispy pair of limited edition NEW BALANCE! I like brands that are classic and timeless. One of my favorite brands has a tagline that for the most part sums it up for me... "Quality never goes out of style". I am attracted to brands for the most part by the quality that they offer and what the brand stands for. For example, TBG (Too Black Guys) is a brand that makes you think! Look into it and come check it out at the shop!

CSW: In a day where things get played out in a matter of days, what inspires you all to keep going and keep things fresh?
Ro: This what I do. This is how I feed my family, so I gotta stay "Fresh" and ahead of the game.
Rick: I feel that to the fullest... same here!

CSW: What are your favorite brands (sneakers and streetwear)?
Ro: Burn Rubber Gear. Get Ready. Alife, MHI, 10 Deep, Crooks, Kid Robot is Dope, Nike...Oh, and of course Gucci accessories. You gotta have a Gucci Belt. Just don't go Uber Crazy wit it though. That's corny. It's wack to over-do anything though. Keep it subtle.
Rick: The BURN RUBBER house brand is crazy, second to none in my book!!!!!! But some of my other favorite brands include TBG, New Balance, Leroy Jenkins, and 10Deep to name a few (you can find them all @ BURN RUBBER!!!!!)

CSW: Without "spilling all of the beans", what can you tell the people about the upcoming projects Burn Rubber has in the works?
Rick: All I can say is keep checking Cliff's blog and make sure that you are on the BURN RUBBER mailing list!!! We are doing things that no one out of Michigan has ever done before!

CSW: Any last words/shout-outs??
Ro: Shout out to anybody that has ever heard about Burn Rubber, and even considered buying anything from us, we really appreciate the love. Shout out to Cliff for holding us down like no other. Other than that, i'm not gonna get into it names, cause I always leave somebody out. So shout out to "You" the person that's reading this.



3 comments:

  1. DETROIT STAND UP!
    MIDWEST STAND UP!!
    BURN RUBBER 4EVA!!!

    BURN RUBBER X LacedOut!
    collab comin' soon!!
    (HINT, HINT/WINK, WINK)
    LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dope interview...cliff we need to open our own shop

    ReplyDelete