Monday, September 15, 2008

INTERVIEW: THOMAS AND MARLO OF COMMISIONED ARTISTS



Thomas Walker and Marlo Broughton are have both been making a name for themselves artistically in the Detroit. You've definitely seen the work of Thomas Walker on flyers for some of the hottest parties, in, around, and outside the D. You can see Marlo's work on facebook and most importantly, THE LOGO ON MY BLOG! Lol, anyways, Thomas and Marlo took time out of their busy schedules to do an interview for one of the flyest blogs in the world....yezzur...

Cliff Skighwalker: What have you guys been up to thus far?
Thomas: So far, we have been preparing pieces for our exhibit “Space Helmet Concept” and doing promotional art for Def Jam/ G.O.O.D. Music recording artist “Big Sean". We both are really excited to have the opportunity to show the world our creative minds. We want our audience to be moved by our artwork. We want our audience to feel something when they look at our work.

CSW: What first inspired y'all to get into art?
Marlo: My parents are the ones who brought art into my life. I would have to say my mother was my initial inspiration. She inspired me the most though through her paintings and drawings.
Thomas: I was inspired by my older sister and my mother. My sister would do random art projects around the house for entertainment. I would help her and watch her do them.

CSW: Thomas, many have seen your work on party promos and mixtape covers, most notably Big Sean's "Finally Famous: The Mixtape" and the Finally Famous promos. What got you into doint the party promos and mixtape artwork?
Thomas: I began my graphic and web design company, V2D Studio, LLC. in 2002 while I was a sophomore at Cass Tech. I began by doing event flyers for my peers. Throughout the years I have been able to intern with art directors from well respected advertising agencies in the Midwest, and work with many phenomenal artist. I feel blessed to be able to express my creative ideas through design.

CSW: Who are your favorite artists?
Marlo: Kanye West and Pharrell are both dope artist and musicans. Bansky, Andy Warhol and Pacman 23 are also my personal friend. He did artwork for "Gym Class Heroes".
Thomas: My favorite musicians are Curtis Mayfield, Kanye West, Jay-Z, Andre 3000, and Ben Gibbard of Death Cab for Cutie. My favorite artists are Andy Warhol, Marlo Broughton, Ron Mueck and Jacques-Louis David.



CSW: What describes your style of art?
Marlo: My style of artwork would be, different. I do a lot of style but what I like to do the most is painting. But my style is formed from my own thoughts and ideals of life, I like to use weird line textures and shapes to form my characters or seen. I would say its different or on the verge of being different, I am cooking up some newer works that is more out there than what most people have seen. I'm going to use 1000 percent of my skillz out here.
Thomas: My art is a mixture of my personal vision regardless of reality, with a glimpse of reality. I am really into shadows and integrating text into realistic situations.

CSW: Now when it comes to sneakers and clothing. What is your favorite sneaker?
Marlo: I would say clothing, nothing is better to than a nice denim and shirt. I keep my sneaks simple, but I probably change it up and get more sneakers this year and I always wear my blue/red burn rubber fitted.
Thomas: I like to switch it up depending on how I feel that day. I may do a suit or I may do some sneakers. But, I keep the crispy Nike blazers and dunks. I love t-shirts and I keep the levis clean.

CSW: Your favorite clothing brand?
Marlo: My favorite clothing brands are BBC, Ice Cream, Burn Rubber New Eras, Levis, Bape, Calvin Klein and Nike.
Thomas: If I like it, I wear it.

CSW: What do Thomas and Marlo hope to accomplish in the future?
Marlo: We will affect the world through our artwork in an unimaginable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment